Yapton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
YAPTON is a parish, 5 miles south-west from Arundel, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Avisford, Arundel rape, county court district and rural deanery, West Hampnett union. and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church is ancient, with square tower and 4 bells. The register dates from 1548. The living is a discharged vicarage, united with that of Walberton, joint annual value £557, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Thomas Stuart Lyle Vogan, M.A., of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. Stephen Roe Esq. in 1766, endowed a Free school for the education of the children of the poor. A small but neat Independent chapel was erected in 1861, at the expense of Mr. Henry Bateman. The Arundel and Portsmouth Canal passes through the parish, but is now dry and disused in this part. The parish comprises 1,690 acres, and had a population in 1861 of 589.
BILSHAM is a tithing of Yapton.
POST OFFICE.- Henry Bateman, receiver. Letters through Arundel arrive at 8.35 a.m.; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Arundel
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe & Fire & Life, Henry Bateman
Collins John Boniface, esq.
Gibbon M. C. H. esq.
Hill Mr. Reuben, Penny-Fathers
Sparks Mr. Sparks James, Burndell
Baker George, farmer & butcher
Bateman Henry, grocer & draper
Bishop John, boot maker
Burch William, boot maker
Collins John Boniface, surgeon
Coote Joseph, farmer
Crouch George, farmer
Crouch William, farmer
Ellis Raymond, relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths
Gallon Lucy (Mrs.), Shoulder of Mutton & Cucumbers
Hoovey James, farmer
Jelley George, blacksmith
Kennett Henry, gardener & nurseryman
King Mary (Miss), grocer & baker
Laker Frank, farmer, Bilsham
Newell Henry, carpenter
Redford Richard, farmer
Sparks John, agricultural machine proprietor
Sturt Mary (Mrs.), beer retailer
Suter Henry, carpenter