GENUKI Home page upWivelsfield ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

WIVELSFIELD is in the Eastern division of the county, Chailey union, Street hundred, Cuckfield county court district, Lewes rape, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester, 4 miles south-east from Cuckfield, &3frac12; south from Lindfield, 2 north from Burgess Hill station, and 2½ south from Hayward's Heath Station on the London, Brighton and South Coast main line. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small stone building in the Early Engligh style. The register dates from the year 1633. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value 130, in the gift of Miss Jane Tanner, and held by the Rev. John Smith Foster, M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Here are two places of worship for Baptists and one for Independents. Miss Jane Tanner is lady of the manor; and W. Tanner, Esq., and Miss Jane Tanner are the chief landowners. The Sussex County Lunatic Asylum is situated in this parish, and occupies an elevated position on Hayward's Heath, about one mile south from the Hayward's Heath railway station. and near the centre of the county; it was commenced in 1857, and opened for the reception of patients on the 25th of July 1859: it is a commodious and well arranged building, and was erected at a cost of nearly 50,000, under the superintendence of H. Kendall, jn., architect; there is a neat chapel annexed, for the use of the officials and inmates: the number of patients at the present time is about 500. The area is 3,103 acres, and the population in 1861 was 709.

Parish Clerk, William Kenward.

POST OFFICE.- William Kenward, receiver. Letters arrive from Hurstpierpoint at 9.30 a.m; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Burgess Hill, Keymer

County Lunatic Asylum, Hayward's Heath, Charles Lockhart Robertson, M.D. resident medical superintendent; Rev. Henry Hawkins, M.A. chaplain; Dr. Williams, assistant medical officer; Samuel Allen Mortlock, clerk & steward; Mrs. Stroude, housekeeper

National School, James J. Wilkins, master; Mrs. Wilkins, mistress

CARRIERS.- Jonah Anscombe, to Brighton, every friday; to Lewes, every tuesday; Stephen Randall, to Brighton, on saturday

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Allen Mrs.
Baldock Rev. Thomas [Baptist]
Blood Major-General
Cotterill William, esq. Cold harbour
Dixon Mrs.
Foster Rev. John Smith, M.A. Vicarage
Freeman Mr. James
Gravett Rev. William [Independent]
Robertson Charles Lockhart, esq. M.D. Asylum
Rose Lieut. John H. J.P. Fern house
Tyler -, esq. Franklands
Vincent Edward, esq. Merryfields
Williams Dr. Asylum

COMMERCIAL.
Allen Henry, farmer, Strood farm
Austen William, shoe maker
Bacon William, farmer, Lances farm
Burtenshaw Henry, farmer
Chatfield John, farmer, Frankland's farm
Coppard John, farmer
Ede (Mrs.), glover
Farncombe William, farmer, Moor ho
Hardwick Alfred, farmer, Cold harbour
Heaver George, farmer, Slugwash
Hill George, farmer
Hollingdale John, farmer, Theobalds
Kent John, farmer
Kenward William, harness maker
Knight Ebenezer, shopkeeper
Knight Thomas, farmer, Mans farm
Knight Timothy, blacksmith
Linfield Henry, butcher
Pack James, wheelwright
Phillip James, farmer, Clearwater farm
Randall Edward, shopkeeper
Randall Nathaniel, Fox & Hounds
Randall Stephen, carrier
Rhodes Christopher, farmer, Great Oat farm
Stevens Henry, Cock
Thomas George, farmer, Slugwash
Weir John, New inn
Woolgar Cornelius, shopkeeper

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the email addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.