GENUKI Home page upWestham ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

WESTHAM is a railway station and parish, 65 miles from London, 14¾ west-south-west from Lewes, 5 north-east from Eastbourne, and 5 south-east from Hailsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Eastbourne union, Pevensey hundred, rape and rural deanery, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, and in the diocese of Chichester: it closely adjoins the town of Pevensey, of which it was formerly considered a hamlet: it takes its name from its situation on the west side of Pevensey Castle. The church of St. Mary is a large stone structure, partly in the Decorated style of English architecture, having at the west end a large square tower. The register dates from 1571. The living is a vicarage, value 550 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Devonshire, and held by the Rev. Henry Thomas Grace, M.A., of Pembroke College, Cambridge, who is also rector of Jevington. Here are almshouses for four aged people; also a National school, for the education of boys and girls, supported by subscription of this and the adjoining parish of Pevensey. The Brighton and South Coast Railway Company have a station in this parish, generally known as the Pevensey station. The Duke of Devonshire and Sir James Duke, Bart., are the largest landowners. The parish comprises 4,718 acres and the population in 1861 was 850.
HANDCOMBE, Langley, Peeling, Montague, Blackness, Glynleigh, Priest Hawes, and Friday Street are in this parish.

Parish Clerk, Samuel Barnard.

Letters arrive through Eastbourne. The nearest money order office is at Hailsham
National School, Charles Howell, master; Mrs. Naomi Howell, mistress
Railway Station, James Fuller, master

Breton Robert, esq. J.P. Peelings house
Breton Robt. jun. esq. Handcombe hall
Grace Rev. Henry Thos. M.A. Vicarage
Roods Hen. Crowhurst, M.D. Handcombe
Roods Miss Oriental cottage
Sampson Wm. King, esq. Montague ho
Tuppen Frederick, esq. Priest Hawes

COMMERCIAL.
Adams William, farmer, Langley farm
Barnard Samuel, bricklayer
Breton Robert, landowner & farmer, Peelings farm
Breton Robt jun. farmer, Handcombe hall
Bridger Edwin, baker & fly proprietor
Crisford Charles, miller
Dann Jesse, brick maker & market gardener
Fisher Hen. brick, tile & drain pipe maker
Ford Edward, farmer
Freeman Thomas, farmer, Westham farm
Fuller James, railway station master
Gearing James, butcher
Gearing Solomon, blacksmith
Gearing William, dairyman & farmer
Gearing Wm. wheelwright, Blackness
Gosling Albert, grocer & draper
Gregson Jesse, farmer, Glenlye farm
Langridge John, farmer, Friday Street farm
Manser Joseph, beer retailer & farmer
Miller Edward, boot & shoe maker
Miller Henry, cowkeeper
Parry Robert, Corporation Arms & Railway hotel
Paul Fanny (Miss), Red Lion, & grocer
Rich Henry, saddler & harness maker
Sampson Wm. King, farmer, Montague
Tottenham Margaret (Miss), day school
Tuppen Frederick, landowner & farmer, & bailiff of Pevensey, Priest Hawes
Waters Charles, farmer, Dittons farm
Webber John, shopkeeper
Woolgar Stephen, carpenter

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the email addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.