GENUKI Home page upWadhurst ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

WADHURST is a large parish and railway station, on the Tonbridge and Hastings Railway, 9 miles from the former, and 24 from the latter town, in the Eastern division of the county, Loxfield Pelham hundred, Ticehurst union, jurisdiction of Tunbridge Wells county court, Pevensey rape, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes: it is 42 miles from London by road, 17 from Battle, 23 from Hastings, 22 from Rye, and 6 south-east from Tunbridge Wells. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is partly in the Early and partly in the Later style of English architecture: it has a high tower, with clock, shingle spire and 6 bells, nave, aisles, and deep chancel, divided from the nave by four lofty arches; there are memorial windows to the children of the Rev. John Foley; also one over the west entrance to members of the Wace family: the church was restored in 1858, and contains several monuments, with one to "John Legas, gent.," which, as showing the change of currents in manufacturing affairs, may be worth noticing: this gentleman died in 1752, aged 62 years, having acquired a handsome fortune "by his industry and diligence in the iron works of this county." The register dates from 1604. The living is a vicarage, value 659 per annum, with residence and 12 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Wadham College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Foley, B.D., formerly Fellow of that college. Here are National schools; also places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. A public library. and reading room was opened in June, 1862. There is a Post Office savings bank, also a penny savings bank. Fairs are held on the 29th of April and 1st of November. The Marquis Camden and lord Dacre are lords of the manor; and E. W. Smyth, G. C. Courthope, J. J. Newington, Esqrs., and the Marquis Camden, are the chief landowners. In the vicinity of the railway station are stone quarries, where sandstone of a superior quality is produced, which is much used for building purposes; there are also brickmaking yards in the parish. The charities are 23 l0s. per annum. The scenery in and contiguous to the village is very picturesque. Wadhurst Castle, a modern building, situated on an eminence, is the residence of Edward Watson Smyth, Esq., J.P. The area is 10,147 acres and the population in 1861 was 2,470.
TIDE BROOK is a hamlet, 2½ miles south-west from Wadhurst, and 2½ north-east from Mayfield, aboundinq in picturesque scenery. A new church (St. John the Baptist) was erected here in 1856, the expenses of which were defrayed by voluntary contributions, the principal contributor being George Campion Courthope, Esq.: it is a stone building, consisting of nave and chancel: the stone was given by J. J. Newington, Esq.: the design was by Thomas Henry Rushforth, Esq., architect. The living is a perpetual curacy, value 53 per annum, with residence, in the alternate gift of the vicars of Wadhurst and Mayfield, and held by the Rev. Albert James Roberts, M.A., of St. John's College Oxford. There is also a school house, with teachers' residence attached.

Parish clerk, George Wallis.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE, POST OFFICE SAVINGS BANK, & GOVERNMENT ANNUITY & INSURANCE OFFICE.- Jabez Smith, receiver. Letters are received at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.45 p.m.; on sunday, dispatched at 10.40 a.m.
RECEIVING HOUSE, Cousley Wood.- Miss Ann Ballard, receiver. Letters arrive from Wadhurst at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.; on sunday, dispatched at 10 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Wadhurst
RECEIVING HOUSE, Tide Brook.- Isaac Wallis, receiver. Letters arrive from Mayfield at 9 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Wadhurst

INSURANCE AGENTS:-
General, Jabez Smith
Imperial Fire & Life, Septimus P. Graves
Kent Fire & Life, Thomas Barton, Prospect house
London Assurance, James Burt
Norfolk Farmers' & General Assurance, Thomas Crouchman; Septimus P. Graves
Norwich Union Fire & Life, Thomas Crouchman
Railway Passengers', William Hall, Station; S. P. Graves, Wadhurst park

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS:-
Library & Reading Rooms, Charles Bocking, secretary
Railway Station, William Hall, station master

PUBLIC OFFICERS:-
Inland Revenue Officer, Charles C. Ellis
Registrar of Birth & Deaths, Henry Bull
Relieving Officer, Richard White

SCHOOLS:-
National School, Charles Bocking, master
School Chapel, at Couseley Wood (infants), supported by voluntary contributions, Miss Elizabeth Waite, mistress

CARRIER TO TUNBRIDGE WELLS.- William Harris (van) from Ticehurst, every wednesday & saturday, returning same day; to Wadhurst station on tuesday & friday

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Anstruther Mrs. Couseley wood
Castle William, esq. Dewhurst lodge
Cheesman Mrs.
Dixon Henry, esq. J.P. Frankham
Foley Rev. John, B.D. [vicar], Vicarage
Gee Thomas, esq. Dewhurst lodge, & at 24 Adelaide crescent, Brighton
Groundwater Colonel, High house
Jones Rev. James [Baptist]
Ladds John, esq. South park
Liggins William, esq. Wadhurst park; & Causton grange, Rugby, Warwickshire
Mercer William, esq.
Newington Joseph John, esq. Towngate
Playsted Mr. Alfred
Prideaux Walter, esq. Faircrouch
Roberts Rev. Albert James, M.A. Parsonage, Tide brook
Rogers Mr. Henry, Hope cottage
$myth Edward Watson, esq. J.P. Wadhurst castle
Thompson William Gordon, esq. Mount house
Wace Rev. Richard Henry, M.A.

COMMERCIAL.
Adams Thomas, farmer, Darby
Allen James, shopkeeper
Apps William, turner
Ashby Charles, bricklayer
Ashby William, miller, River hall
Attwood Wm. beer retailer, Station road
Austen Alfred, farmer, Perrings
Austen Henry Jeffery, auctioneer, appraiser, valuer, house, estate & land agent & farmer, Great Durgates
Austen John, farmer, White gate
Avard George, farmer, Morgans
Avery George, farmer, Great Pell
Baldock James, beer retailer, Tide brook
Ballard Thomas, blacksmith
Barham Alfred & John, farmers, Early
Barham Nicholas, wheelwright
Barrow Joseph, farmer
Barton Thomas, farmer, Prospect house
Blunden William, shoe maker
Bone James, shoe maker
Boorman Thomas, farmer, Newnhams
Boots Benjamin, builder, contractor, architect & surveyor & brick maker
Botten William, baker
Brissenden Charles, farmer
Bull Henry, registrar of births & deaths
Burt James, tailor
Carpenter Charles, baker & shopkeeper
Carr William, farmer, Buckhurst
Cheesman James, draper, grocer, tailor, corn dealer & wool merchant
Cole William Sellby, draper & grocer
Collins John, Red Lion, Sparrows green
Couchman Thos, veterinary surgeon & farmer
Crundell Stephen, farmer
Dadswell Edwin, hair dresser
Davis David, bricklayer
Fairbrother John, brick maker
Fernor James, beer retailer, Durgates
Fuggles (Misses), ladies' school, New house
Gallup George, blacksmith & farmer
Gibb David William, wheelwright, Bestbeech hill
Graves Septimus Perry, estate & land agent, surveyor, appraiser & valuer
Hammond Edwd. White Hart, & butcher
Hammond John, cooper
Harmer James, farmer
Hemsley Henry, Balaclava, Pell green Hemsley William, blacksmith
Hoadley Isaac, farmer, Frankham
Humphrey James, farmer, Lodge hill
Husher Jas. & Son, carpenters, Durgates
Husher James, grocer, Durgates
Husher Thomas, carpenter
Kemp George, beer retailer, Stream
Kine Edward Joseph, farmer
Library & Reading Rooms (Charles Backing, secretary)
Luck George, plumber, Durgates
Mabb Alfred, shoe maker
Macdonald John, draper & grocer
Martin Thomas, miller
Mercer William, surgeon
Mott Mary (Mrs.), straw bonnet maker
Newington Horace, shopkeeper
Newington Horace, watch & clock maker
Newington John Baker, farmer, Foxholes
Noakes William, tailor
Oldroyd Edward, farmer, Muddle farm
Parrett William, beer retailer
Penny Savings Bank
Pierson Thomas, farmer
Pilbeam Richard, boot & shoe maker
Pilbeam Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Pitt Jacob, Greyhound, & assistant overseer & collector
Playfoot Frederick, farmer, Gt. Butts
Pope Stephen, shopkeeper
Powell Isaac, gunsmith
Rabson Henry, farmer, Bassetts
Reed William, blacksmith
Rogers John, farmer, Appses
Rogers William, shoe maker, Pell green
Rose Thomas, farmer, Buckland hill
Shackell William, farmer
Smith & Boots. brick & tile makers, Railway station
Smith Esther (Mrs.), farmer, Muddles farm
Smith Geo. (exors. of), farmer, Newhouse
Smith Henry, currier
Smith Jabez, fruiterer & butcher
Smith James, farmer, Little Buckhurst
Smith Joseph, Railway hotel, commercial & posting house, quarry owner, coal merchant, & agent for Rickman & Co.'s lime & guano, & brick & tile makers, Railway station
Smith Peter, currier
Smith Samuel, carpenter, plumber & glazier & grocer
Smith Thomas, farmer, Three Oaks
Standen John, miller, Couseley wood
Stevenson William, shopkeeper
Stollery William, wheelwright
Till Frederick, blacksmith
Thompsett James, farmer, Earls farm
Tompsett Jas. & Dennis, farmers, Wenbans
Tompsett Jno. (exors. of), farmers, Scragoak
Tompsett John, jun. farmer
Tooth Edward, Queen's Head, & coal & timber merchant
Turner Mary (Mrs.), young ladies' boarding & day school, Little Durgates
Turner William, farmer, Church Settle
Usherwood Barnes, farmer, Cliff Buttons
Wace Rev. Richard Henry, M.A. preparatory school
Wait Louisa (Miss), day school
Wait Eliza (Mrs.), harness maker
Walker William, horse dealer
Wallis George, bricklayer
Wallis John, stone mason
Wells Jacob, farmer, Buttons
Wenman Jno. Gude, farmer. Gt. Shoesmith
Weston James, Hare & Hounds, & farmer Bestbeech hill
White Richard, relieving officer
Wickenden John, farmer, Lucks
Williams Thomas, farmer, Wickhurst

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the email addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.