Up Marden Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
UPMARDEN is a large parish, 10 miles north-west from Chichester, 7 south from Petersfield, and 5 north-east from Emsworth, in the Western division of the county, Westbourne hundred and union, Chichester county court district, rape, diocese and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Boxgrove. This manor has, from the remotest period, been held with Compton, and has always been treated as a manor united with it. The church of St. Michael is a small ancient structure. The register commences in 1748. The living is a vicarage, united with Compton, joint annual value £507, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. George Augustus Langdale, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Watergate House, the seat and property of A. H. Hall, esq., stands partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Stoughton: it is a handsome mansion, and stands in a well-wooded park, at a short distance from the road. Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby, lord of the manor, and A. H. Hall Esq., are the principal owners of the soil. The area is 2,928 acres; and the population in 1861 was 366.- Letters through Petersfield. The nearest money order offices are at Midhurst & Chichester
West Marden is a hamlet or chapelry within the parish. The chapel, however, was destroyed many years since, and no vestige of it remains.
Parish Clerk for West Marden & Upmarden, Henry Chase.
Letters through Emsworth. The nearest money order offices are at Midhurst & Chichester
Hall Alex. Hall, esq. Watergate house
Pinnix John, farmer
Stay William, farmer
Chase Henry, bricklayer
Collins Jane (Mrs.), beer retailer
Hedgcock Ann (Mrs.), wheelwright
Johnson Elizabeth (Mrs.), shoe maker
Russell Frances (Mrs.), blacksmith
Stubbs James, farmer