Trotton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
TROTTON is a long and narrow parish, and extends from north to south nearly 7 miles, and about three quarters of a mile in breadth; it is in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, Midhurst county court district, union and rural deanery, rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The village is on the banks of the river West Rother, 4 miles west from Midhurst. The church of St. George was rebuilt about 1400 by Baron Camois, and consists of a chancel and nave, with a massive tower and shingle spire; in the church is a very fine monumental brass to the memory of Baron Camois and his wife, the widow of Hotspur. The register commences in 1581. The living is a rectory, value £296 per annum, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Edward William Batchellor, B.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. During the reign of Edward the Confessor this lordship was held of the King by Countess Goda: after the Conquest it was given by William to the Earl Montgomerie: in the reign of Edward I. it was given by tenure of military suit to Sir Ralph Camois. From the long period that it remained in this family, it derived a name by which it is sometimes known, viz., "Camois Court:" it passed to the family of Lewknor, then to that of Twyford, lately to that of Mowatt, and is now the property of Reginald Henry Nevill, Esq., of Turwick. In this parish was born Thomas Otway, the dramatist: at the time of his birth, the Rev. Humphrey Otway, his father, was curate of the parish. The population in 1861 was 452, and the area is 3,877 acres.
DUMFORD (or Dumpford) is a hamlet, giving name to the hundred. WHITES and GOLDINGS are other places.
TUXLYTHE (or Milland) is a chapelry belonging to Trotton, 4 miles north-west from Midhurst.
Parish Clerk, George Parrott.
Letters through Petersfield. The nearest money order offices are at Midhurst & Petersfield
Batchellor Rev. Edward William, B.A.
Eames Mrs. Dumford
Knox Arthur Edward, esq. Trotton pl.
Aburrow William, shopkeeper, Milland
Boxall Hannah (Mrs.), carpenter, Milland
Bridger James, farmer, Dumford
Cole Joseph, farmer, Trippetts
Fifield William, beer retailer
Good Susannah (Mrs.), farmer, Whites
Jefferies Robert, farmer, Goldings
Marchant William, farmer, Cannes farm, Milland
Pennicott George, blacksmith
Restall Charles, farmer, Love Hill farm
Restall Robert, farmer, Dumford
Simmons Robert, wheelwright
Wakeford Henry, miller, Milland
Warrington John, Black Fox, Milland
Weeks William, clock maker, Milland