Terwick Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
TURWICK (or TERWICK) is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, rape, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, Midhurst union, county court district and rural deanery, about one mile east from Rogate. The church, a small and plain structure, was thoroughly restored in 1847. The register commences in 1577. The living is a rectory, tithe-rent charge £173, with 12 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of T. A. Richards, Esq., and held by the Rev. William Steward Richards, M.A., of Jesus College, Oxford. From the earliest Norman era this manor has been held with Rogate, and was one of the manors within that lordship held by Sir Ralph de Camois. The chief landowners are Thomas Ridge. Esq., and Reginald H. Nevill, Esq. The population in 1861 was 106, assessed at £935; the area is 718 acres.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Petter.
Letters through Petersfield, which is the nearest money order office
Nevill Lady Dorothy, Dangstein house
Nevill Reginald H. esq. J.P. Dangstein ho.
Richards Rev. Wm. Steward, M.A. Rectory
Allen James, miller, Turwick mills
Lintott Thomas, farmer, Wakeham
Putman Frank, farmer, Trippetts