GENUKI Home page upHarting ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

SOUTH HARTING is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, Midhurst union and county court district, Chichester rape, diocese and archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Midhurst, 4 miles south-east from Petersfield, and 7 west from Midhurst. This manor in "Domesday Survey" is called Hertinges: it was the paramount manor of Dumpford hundred, and was held of the Confessor by Countess Gida, and afterwards passed to Earl Montgomery: upon the attainder of the third Earl Montgomery this manor reverted to the Crown, by whom, for many years, it was retained: in 1610 it was granted by the Crown to Sir Edward Caryll, and in this family it continued until 1746: of this family was John Caryll, Esq., who, for his adherence to the fortunes of Charles I., was heavily fined by the Parliament in 1643: his son Richard was created Baron Caryll by James II., at St. Germains: it is the son of this Richard (John Caryll) who is referred to in Pope's letters as the Hon. J. C. The manor, in 1746, was purchased by Sir Matthew Fetherstonhaugh, Bart., in whose family it still remains. The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice, and was restored at the expense of Lady Fetherstonhaugh, and the chancel repaired, and stained glass window added, at the expense of the rector, in 1854: the east wall was rebuilt in 1858, and four stained glass windows and stone reredos added, by Lady Fetherstonhaugh, in memory of her late husband, Sir Harry Fetherstonhaugh, Bart.: there is a tower, copper spire, north and south transepts. and a peal of six bells. The register commences in 1567. The living is a vicarage and sinecure rectory, yearly value 233, with residence, in the gift of Lady Fetherstonhaugh, and held by the Rev. Henry Doddridge Gordon, M.A. of New College, Oxford. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls; also a chapel for Independents. The chief part of the land belongs to Lady Fetherstonhaugh, who resides in a mansion, called Up Park. The population in 1861 was 1,247, and the acreage is 7,832.
WEST HARTING is a hamlet of this parish, about a mile north-west from the village.
EAST HARTING joins South Harting.

Parish Clerk, Joseph Hill.

POST OFFICE.- James Chitty, receiver, South Harting. Letters arrive from Petersfield at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Petersfield

National School, William Maxwell, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Maxwell, mistress

CARRIERS.- Henry Hill, to Portsmouth, once a week; William Upfield, to Chichester, twice a week; Thomas White, to Petersfield, every day

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Curtis Collins, esq.
Curtis Mrs
Fetherstonhaugh Lady, Up Park
Gordon Rev. Henry Doddridge, M.A. Rectory
Harting Vincent, esq. East Harting
Lawrence James, esq. East Harting
Legg Miss, Elm cottage, East Harting
Lever John, esq. Kent house
M'Kean Rev. John
Phillips Moses John, esq.
Postlethwaite Joseph L. esq. North end
Wild William, sen. esq.
Wilmer Henry, esq. Down place

COMMERCIAL.
Baker Charles, shoe maker
Blackmore George, blacksmith
Brightwell William, Coach & Horses
Brisby Maria (Mrs.), farmer, Upperton, West Harting
Buxton Isaac, railway contractor, East Harting
Chalcroft William, miller, Hurst mill
Chase Henry, farmer, East Harting
Chitty George, miller
Curtis Collins, surgeon
Donaldson John, farm bailiff to Lady Fetherstonhaugh, Hucksholt
Ellison David, shoe maker
Ellison Thomas, farmer
Ewens Joseph, saddler
Frost Arthur, grocer
Hill Henry, carrier
Knight Richard, farmer, West Harting
Laker Walter, shopkeeper
Lickfold Walter, farmer, Rye fields, West Harting
Lintott George, beer retailer
Luff James, farmer, East Harting
Maxwell John, wheelwright
Mundy George, grocer
Oliver Josiah, stone mason
Pannell William, wheelwright
Pay George, White Hart
Rogers Elizabeth (Mrs.), Barrel
Seward George Haw, farmer
Shire Maria (Mrs.), Greyhound, West Harting
Stoneadge & Vallar, grocers
Stubbington William Henry, farmer, West Harting
Tickner John, farmer, Hurst farm
Tigg Francis, painter & plumber
Vick Charles, farmer
Walder James, bricklayer
West John, grocer, West Harting
White George, tailor
Wiggins James, blacksmith
Wild George, grocer
Wild John, Ship
Wild William, butcher
Wild William, jun. farmer, East Harting

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the e-mail addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.