Slindon Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SLINDON is a village and parish in the Western division of the county, Aldwick hundred, Chichester rape, Arundel county court district, West Hampnett union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Pagham, bounded, by the parishes of Madehurst, Waltham, Eartham, and Walberton, 3 miles north-west from Arundel and 7 from Chichester and 73 by railway from London. The church of St. Mary is in the Later English style. The living is a rectory, value £219 per annum, with residence, in the gift of William Joshua Tilley, Esq., and held by the Rev. William Chantler Izard, M.A., of Christ College, Cambridge. A new Roman Catholic church was erected in 1865; the Rev. John Sheehan, priest. There are schools under the National education system, and a school for the children of the Roman Catholics. Arundel and Barkham Lane are the nearest railway stations. Slindon Hall is the seat of Colonel Leslie, K.H., who succeeded to it in right of his late wife, Dorothy Eyre, Countess of Newburgh, who was the last heir remaining to her cousin, Anthony James, Earl of Newburgh: the manor house is delightfully situated upon a commanding eminence in a finely wooded park, commanding magnificent views of
the sea, as well as a large tract of fertile country, extending as far as the Isle of Wight to the west and Worthing to the east: the pleasure grounds are extensive. and laid out with great taste and kept in the highest order: the beech groves in the park are singularly beautiful, producing trees of great height and dimensions. There is a splendid hall, in various parts of which are emblazoned the arms of the Kempes, the Derwentwaters, and the Newburghs. In the public rooms are many fine paintings, including the celebrated one of the Beggar of Antwerp, besides numerous family portraits by first-rate
artists. The lands of Slyndon were given by Henry I. to St. Anselm, Archbishop of Canterbury. The manor place was first erected in the middle of the thirteenth century by an archbishop, as a summer residence, and was till lately a "peculiar" of Canterbury. Cardinal Stephen Langton, archbishop of Canterbury, died at Slindon in 1228. The estate was alienated to Henry. VIII. by Cranmer in 1543, and was granted by Edward VI. to Sir Thomas Palmer, in 1553. it was resumed by Queen Mary,
and then granted and confirmed by her, and the constituted authorities to Anthony Kempe, third son of Sir William Kempe, of Ollantigh, Kent, In the second year of her reign, 1555. The estate remained in the Kempe family till the death of Anthony Kempe, in 1753, who settled it upon his eldest daughter Barbara, the wife of James Bartholomew, Earl of Newburgh, the son of Charlotte, Countess of Newburgh and Charles Radcliffe, brother to the Earl of Derwentwater, who was beheaded in 1746 for his illfated attachment to the cause of the Stewarts. The Kempes almost entirely rebuilt the mansion house, accommodating
the interior arrangements to the taste of their different ages. Colonel Leslie is chief landowner. The area is 2,504 acres of arable, pasture, wood, and common land; the population in 1861 was 543, including Gumber.
The GUMBER is an extra parochial place, with 20 inhabitants.
Parish Clerk, George Pennicott.
POST OFFICE.- Edward Bowley, receiver. Letters through Arundel arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5.50 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Arundel
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, Charles F. Willshear
Fullerton George A. esq.
Fullerton Lady Georgiana
Halsted Mrs. John
Izard Rev. Wm. Chantler, M.A. Rectory
Leslie Col. Charles, K.H. Slindon hall
Livermore Mr. Charles
Mellersh Mr. Francis
Parlett George, esq.
Sheehan Rev. John [Roman Catholic]
Apps Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer & shopkeeper
Bateman Thomas, blacksmith
Bateman William, blacksmith
Billinghurst Thos. steward to Col.Leslie
Cooper Henry, carpenter
Fleat Francis, Newburgh Arms
Fleet John, shoe maker
Graysmark William, wheelwright
Hotston Charles, Sir George Thomas
Ireland William & Hampton, farmers
Jackson Charles, shoo maker
Murrell Edmund, grocer
Palmer Charles, horse dealer
Pennicott George, tailor
Refoy Joseph, bricklayer
Rout Thomas, carpenter
Sherlock Peter, boot & shoe maker
Smart George, farmer
Stewart Alex. gardener to Col. Leslie
Willshear & Co. brewers & grocers