GENUKI Home page upSingleton ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

SINGLETON with CHARLTON is a large parish, in a valley of the Downs, 6 miles north-east from Chichester, and 5½ south-east from Midhurst, in the Western division of the county, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, hundred of Westbourne, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. The manor is referred to in "Domesday Survey" as Silleton: in the time of Edward the Confessor it was a possession of Earl Godwin, the father of King Harold: it subsequently formed part of the great Earldom of Arundel, and descended with it: upon the partition of the Fitzalan estates, John Lord Lumley became possessed, and that portion of it called Charlton Forest was granted by the Crown to the Duke of Richmond. The church (name unknown), which has been restored, is in the perpendicular style, and consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles: the tower is Norman, and has 3 bells. The register commences in 1664. The living is a discharged rectory, value 115 per annum, with 36 acres of globe, in the gift of the Duke of Richmond, and held by the Rev. Francis Alfred Bowles, M.A., of Magdalen Hall Oxford. The chief landed proprietors are the Duke of Richmond and Lord Leconfield. Here is a National school for boys and a school for girls, erected in 1852, supported by Lord and Lady Leconfield. Goodwood race stand is situate in the Parish: this locality is spoken of from manuscripts as being, in the early part of the seventeenth century, much frequented by royalty for hunting amusements, and attended on the 26th of January, 1738, by six dukes and as many duchesses, and thirty noblemen of various titles. In 1628 Henry Smith, Esq. left by will 70 per annum for charities. Molecomb House is now the residence of H.S.H. Prince Edward of Saxe Weimar. Drove House is one of the seats of Lord Leconfield. The soil is chalky. The population in 1861, with the hamlet of Charlton, was 556; the area is 5,010 acres.

Parish Clerk, William Baigent.

POST OFFICE.- William Baigent, receiver. Letters arrive from Chichester at 9.20 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chichester
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, Edwin Curtis
National School, George Busby, master
CONVEYANCE.- Omnibus (Ellcomb & Faulkner) to Chichester every morning at 10, returning same evening at 5.30

Bowles Rev. Fras. Alfred, M.A. Vicarage
Leconfield Lord, Drove house
Saxe Weimar, H.S.H. Prince Edward of, Molecomb house
Turner Nathaniel Blaker, esq.
Adams Ephraim, relieving officer
Baigent William, boot maker
Challen James, farmer
Curtis Edwin, grocer
Dearling John, farmer
Ewens John, farmer, Charlton
Farley Charles, carpenter
Foster Thomas, saw mills, Charlton
Glover Christopher, farmer. Charlton
Hammond John, farmer
Humphrey, George, brewer
Newman Susan & Caroline (Misses), farmers
Pelham Henry, Fox & Hounds
Pennicott Sarah (Mrs.), tailor
Scammell George, Horse & Groom
Smart Edward, baker
Turner Nathaniel Blaker, surgeon
Williams James Young, Fox, Charlton

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the email addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.