Selmeston Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SELMESTON is a parish, near the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, one mile west from Berwick station, 7 miles south-east from Lewes, and 57 from London, in the Western division of the county, Danehill hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Rype, Pevensey rape, West Firle union, diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel, and tower, with shingled spire: the church is at this date (1866) about to be rebuilt and restored to its original character. The register dates from 1667. The living is a vicarage, with that of Alciston annexed, joint annual value £208, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Chichester alternately, and held by the Rev. W. Douglas Parish, R.C.L., of Trinity College, Oxford. Lord Gage is principal landowner and lord of the manor of Ludley; James Skinner, Esq., is lord of the manor of Sherrington, and occupies the manor house, formerly the residence of Cardinal Wolsey. The principal crops are wheat. Area 1,590 acres; the population in 1861 was 197.
COBB COURT, Tilton, and Mays are farms in this parish.
Parish Clerk, John Henry Ellis.
POST OFFICE.- William Woodall, receiver. Letters through Lewes arrive at 9.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.55 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Lewes & Hailsham
National School, Miss Elizabeth Harber, mistress
Parish Rev. W. Douglas, B.C.L. [vicar]
Skinner James, esq. Sherrington Manor house
Avis Richard, butcher
Ellis Charles, farmer, May's farm
Pearce David, farmer, Cobb Court farm
Potter James, grocer & draper
Skinner James, farmer & landowner, Sherrington Manor house
Woodhams George, farmer