Penhurst Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
PENHURST is a small parish, 4 miles north-west from Battle, and a mile and a half east from Ashburnham, in the Eastern division of the county, Netherfield hundred, Battle union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church is an ancient edifice, in the Early English style, with small pointed tower containing 1 bell. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Ashburnham, joint annual value £350, in the gift of the Earl of Ashburnham, and held by the Rev. John Read Munn, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who is vicar of, and resides at, Ashburnham. The Earl of Ashburnham is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. The area is about 1,462 acres, and the population in 1861 was 105.
CHURCH HOUSE, Hill Farm, Sprays, and Pean's are farms in this parish.
Parish Clerk, Charles Bourner, sen.
Letters through Battle, which is the nearest money order officeBourner Charles, sen. farmer, Hill farm