GENUKI Home page upNuthurst ContentsReturn to Steve Pickthall's Index Page

From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867

NUTHURST is a village and parish, 42 miles from London, and 4 south from Horsham station, in the Western division of the county, Singlecross hundred, rape of Bramber, and Horsham union and county court district. The church of St. Andrew is a neat structure in the Early Decorated style, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch: the entrance to the porch is constructed of oak, and the spandrils contain the lily and other flowers richly carved: there is a shingle spire rising from the roof containing 3 bells: the roof and the pews are of oak: the font, of Purbeck marble, is octagonal and very ancient: there are some handsome stained glass windows; the eastern one contains some remains of an old window, and has representations of angels worshipping: the church was considerably enlarged in 1856, at a cost of 2,400, the greater part of which was the gift of J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq.; the Society for Promoting the Enlargement of Churches and Chapels granted 100, and the remainder was contributed by the rector, the inhabitants, and others. The parish registers date from the fifteenth century, and are in a good state of preservation. The living is a rectory, the tithes are committed at 480 per annum, in the gift of the Bishop of London, and held by the Rev. John Ommanney McCarogher, M.A., of Magdalen College, Oxford. A neat rectory house was built in 1859; Mr. Ferrey, of London, was the architect. There is a National school for boys and girls, supported by voluntary contributions and a small weekly payment from the scholars. J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq., J.P., Walter Burrell, Esq., and Major John Aldridge, J.P., are the chief landowners. Nuthurst Lodge is the delightful seat of J. T. Nelthorpe, Esq., J.P. situated on an eminence, with commanding views of the South Down hills and Shoreham harbour. The population in 1861 was 767; area, 3,260 acres.
COPSALE and MANNING'S HEATH are in this parish.

Parish Clerk, William J. Roberts.

POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Ann Shaw, receiver, Manning's heath. Letters arrive from Horsham at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. Horsham is the nearest money order office

National school (boys & girls), William J. Roberts, master

Bigg Smith Henry, esq. Swallowfield
Chasemore Frederick, esq. Newells farm
Goldsmith Mr. James, Manning's heath
McCarogher Rev. John Ommanney, M.A. Rectory
Nelthorpe James Tudor, esq. J.P. Nuthurst lodge
Newman Mrs
Wisden Mr. George

COMMERCIAL.
Agate George, farmer
Ankerson Richard, farmer, High hurst
Brown Samuel, farmer, Bottings
Chart Amos, farmer
Cherryman Henry, farmer, Copsale
Coates Richard, farmer
Comber Henry, farmer
Comber James, wheelwright
Comber John, jun. farmer
Comber John, sen. farmer
Comber Peter, farmer
Gander George, farmer
Gates John, farmer
Gumbrell Henry, farmer
Harmes Richard, farmer
Henley James, farmer
Leppard John & Thomas, farmers
Leppard John, blacksmith
Mason Moses, grocer & farmer
Mugeridge Stephen, farmer
Potter William, Black Horse
Pronger James, farmer, Golding & Cook's farms
Pronger James, farmer, Monk's gate
Reading Rbt. Dun Horse, Manning's heath
Shaw Ann (Mrs.), baker & shopkeeper, Manning's heath
Sherlock John, boot & shoe maker
Skinner Thomas, land steward to Major John Aldridge, J.P., & land & timber valuer
Steer Abraham, farmer
Vernon John, farmer, Frenches
Waller John, wheelwright

In order to hide email addresses from spam harvesters, the e-mail addresses are hidden by a JavaScript function. If your browser does not support JavaScript then you will see this note. To obtain the mail address look at the source code of this page for the Signoff() function. You should be able to work out the address from that. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.