North Marden Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
NORTH MARDEN is a small parish, 7 miles south-east from Petersfield and 9 north from Chichester, in the same jurisdiction. This is another of the Meredens, and was held on allodial tenure prior to the Conquest: in 1475 Sir George Browne was lord of the manor, and so continued until his attainder, in 1484, by Richard III.: the manor was never restored, and continued vested in the Crown until Queen Elizabeth granted it to William Grenefield: it subsequently passed to the Jenmans, then to the Peckhams, and is now the property of Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby. The church is an ancient structure in the Early English style, with a circular east end: it has been restored and new pewed. The register commences in 1813. The living is a rectory, value £70 per annum, in the gift of the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. Andrew Vogan. The area is 682 acres of arable, pasture, and down land, and the population in 1861 was 28.
Letters through Petersfield. The nearest money order offices are at Midhurst and Chichester.
Clarke Samuel, farmer