Newtimber Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
NEWTIMBER is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, Poynings hundred, Lewes rape and archdeaconry, Cuckfield union and county court district, diocese of Chichester, 4 miles south-west from Hassock's Gate station, 44 from London, 7 north-west from Briqhton, 10 from Steyning, and 4 from Henfield. The church of St. John the Evangelist is small, with a very neat tower. The living is a rectory, in the gift of Arthur Pitman Gordon, Esq., and held by the Rev. Arthur P. Gordon, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a Mixed school, supported by the rector and inhabitants. Charles Henry William Gordon, Esq. (lord of the manor), and Lord Leconfield, own the whole of the soil. The area is 1,663 acres, and the population in 1861 was 162.
Parish Clerk, Nathaniel Barber.
Letters received by foot post from Hurstpierpoint, which is the nearest money order office
Mixed School, Miss Fishery, mistress
Gordon Charles Henry William, esq. Newtimber place
Baker Mr. William
Barker John, market gardener
Davey Henry, farmer, Red house
Robinson Martin, farmer, Saddlescombe