Madehurst Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
MADEHURST is a parish, 3 miles north-west from Arundel, and 60 from London, in the Western division of the county, Avisford hundred, West Hampnett union, Arundel rape, rural deanery, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St. Mary Magdalen was thoroughly restored in 1864, and enlarged by the addition of a north aisle and a new chancel, chiefly at the expense of the patron, and by contributions from the vicar. The living is a discharged vicarage, value £100 per annum, with residence, erected at the expense of the patron, assisted by £200, the amount of the endowment from Queen Anne's Bounty, which was given up, and £100 donation from the same source; it is in the gift of John Charles Fletcher, Esq. and held by the Rev. Henry Nicholls, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Dale Park House and estate, the property and seat of John Charles Fletcher, Esq., J.P., comprises the whole of this parish: the mansion, which stands in an extensive and well wooded park, is a spacious building, commanding fine sea views. The area is 1,908 acres, and the population in 1861 was 208.
Parish Clerk, Frank Farr.
Letters through Arundel, which is the nearest money order office
School, G. N. Brown, master
Fletcher John Chas. esq. J.P. Dale pk
Nicholls Rev. Henry, M.A. [vicar]
Knight Geo. farmer
Parlett Wm. farmer