Kingston by Lewes Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
KINGSTON (near Lewes) is a parish, 2½ miles south-west from Lewes, in the Eastern division of the county, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, Swanborough hundred, Newhaven union, and diocese of Chichester. "Wm. de Warrenne and Isabella his countess, gave to God and St. Pancras the church of Kingston": it has a nave, chancel, and square tower, with shingled spire, and contains a monumental brass of the Vinall family (date 1667), and a curious carved oak pulpit. The register dates from 1557. The living is a vicarage, united with Iford, joint annual value £343, with residence, in the gift of and held by the Rev. Thomas Bedford, M.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The Rev. John Goring, of Wiston Park, near Steyning, is owner of nearly the whole of the parish, and of the great tithes, and is lord of the manor. The area is 1,653 acres, and the population in 1861 was 137.
Parish Clerk, Henry Reed.
Letters through Lewes, which is the nearest money order office, but there is a receiving office at Iford. Box closes at 7 p.m.
Hodson James, farmer