Hunston Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
HUNSTON is a small parish, 3 miles south-east from Chichester station, and 62 from London, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Box and Stockbridge, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, West Hampnett union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove. There is a small rivulet which rises in the parish, and discharges itself into Pagham harbour: it is close to the Chichester Canal. The church of St. Leodegar consists of a square tower with 2 bells, chancel, nave, and south aisle. The registers date from 1678. The living is a vicarage, united with North Mundham, joint annual value £645, in the gift of the representatives of the late J. B. Fletcher, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles Dudding Holland, B.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The population in 1861 was 176; and the area is 1,003 acres.
FISHERS, HOE and BRIMFAST are one mile south.
Parish Clerk, James Jupp.
Letters received through Chichester, which is the nearest money order office
Nunns Rev. Robert A. Luke, B.A.
Aylward George, shopkeeper
Burchfell Clement & Co. machine proptrs
Cousens Alfred, farmer
Cousens Cornelius, farmer
Cousens Edmund, cowkeeper
Hayllar George, shopkeeper
Hodson James, miller
Jupp Charlotte & George, farmers
Millyard Frances (Mrs.), farmer
Upsdell Charles, beer retailer