Houghton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
HOUGHTON is a parish, 4 miles north from Arundel, in the Western division of the county, Bury hundred, East Preston incorporation, Arundel rape, county court district and rural deanery, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. A neat (flint) church has been erected, in the Early English style, at a cost of £693, raised by subscription, from the Duke of Norfolk and the incumbent, and a parish rate. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Amberley, joint annual value £366, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. George Augustus Clarkson, B.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge. The navigable river Arun runs through the parish. On the hills to the west are barrows. The area is 1,455 acres, and the population in 1861 was 165.
PRIESTCOMB is half a mile north.
Letters through Arundel from 10 to 10.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4 P.M. The nearest money order office is at Arundel
Forman Rev. Edward B. B.A.
Ayling William, farmer
Catchlove Edward, grocer
Catchlove Mary (Mrs.), blacksmith
Cooper Joseph, grocer
Cunningham Robert, George
Duke Henry, grocer
Elliott Edward, farmer
Goble Moses, shoe maker