Friston Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
FRISTON is a parish, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of Willingdon, rape and rural deanery of Pevensey, and Eastbourne union and county court district. The church is a small building, consisting of nave, chancel, transept, and tower: the window in the transept is a beautiful specimen of painting by Mrs. Owen (late Miss Gilbert), of Eastbourne. The register dates from 1546. The living is a vicarage, with that of East Dean annexed, joint annual value £276, in the alternate gift of the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. George Pinnock. Here is a coastguard station. The population in 1861 was 89; area, 2,023 acres.
Parish Clerk, Robert Dunstall.
Letters received through Eastbourne, which is the nearest money order office
Brown Richard, farmer, Friston place
Mockett Matthias, farmer, Crowlink