Falmer Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
FALMER is a parish and railway station, in the Eastern division of the county, Newhaven union, Younesmere hundred, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, 54¼ miles from London, 4 north-east from Brighton and south-west from Lewes. The Brighton and Hastings branch railway passes through here, in a tunnel 200 yards in length, at the end of which there is a station. The church, rebuilt in 1817, is small, but extremely neat, with a square embattled tower, nave and chancel. The register dates from 1649. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Stanmer, joint net annual value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Earl of Chichester alternately, and held by the Rev. Charles George Torrington Barlow, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford. The area is 4,358 acres, and the population in 1861 was 512.
BOLMER is one mile north-east; HOUSEDEAN, one mile east; BEVENDEAN, 2 miles south-west.
Parish Clerk, William Carter.
POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Ann Cordy Hare, receiver. Letters are received through Lewes; arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. The nearest money order offices are at Lewes & Brighton
Parochial School, John Turl, master; Miss Ann Cordy Hare, mistress
CARRIERS pass through here daily from Lewes to Brighton
RAILWAY.- London Brighton & South Coast, Isaac Oldaker, station clerk
Barlow Rev. Charles Geo. Torrington, M.A. [vicar]
Rosslyn Mr. Thomas
Barbarie John, farmer, Housedean
Carter Thomas, Swan
Carter Wm. blacksmith & wheelwright
Madgwick William, farmer, Bolmer
Norman Henry, shopkeeper
Tribe John, farmer, Hodshrove
Verrall Richd. Relfe, farmer, Court farm