Edburton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EDBURTON is a parish and small village, in the Western division of the county, union of Steyning, Atherington and Poynings hundred, Bramber rape, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and Brighton county court district, 56 miles south from London, 4 east from Steyning, and 4 south-east from Henfield. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient, small, but neat structure: it has nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, value £379 per annum, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and now vacant. Here is a Free school. The area is 2,651 acres, and the population in 1861 was 300.
FULKING, Folking, or Faulking, is a hamlet of this parish, with a population of 188, and is in East Sussex, half a mile east.
Parish Clerk, George Barber.
Letters through Hurstpierpoint. Steyning is the nearest money order office.
Barber George, carpenter, Faulking
Carfrae Robert, shopkeeper, Faulking
Lade Nathan, farmer
Stevens Susan & Maria (Misses), farmers
Stevens James, farmer, Faulking
Strivens James, Shepherd & Dog, Faulking
Willett Edward, market gardener
Willett Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Faulking
Wood Robert, farmer, Truleigh