Eastergate Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EASTERGATE is a parish, and station on the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, called Barnham junction, 5¼ miles west-by-south from Arundel, and 5 east from Chichester, in the Western division of the county hundred of Avisford, county court district, rape and rural deanery of Arundel, West Hampnett union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church of St. George is a small structure of rough stone. The living is a rectory, value £370 per annum, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Chichester, and held by the Rev. John Phillips Roberts, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. The area is 912 acres, and the population in 1861 was 102.
POST OFFICE.- Charles Biffin, receiver. Letters from Chichester arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 4.10 p.m. The nearest money order offices are Bognor & Chichester.
Blackwell Mr. John
Roberts Rev. John Phillips, M.A. [rector]
Ampleford William, station master
Biffin Charles, grocer & coal merchant & post office
Farrenden Jonathan, farmer
Field William, farmer
Goatcher Ann (Mrs.), Wilke's Head
Millard Reuben, baker
Smith John, Railway inn
White Thomas, farmer