East Dean (nr Chichester) Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EAST DEAN (near Chichester) is a parish, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Westbourn and Singleton, rape and county court district of Chichester, Westhampnett union, 7 miles north from Chichester. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel and north and south transepts. The living is a vicarage, value £86 per annum, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Henry Cogan, M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a Parochial school for boys and girls, supported by private subscription. The parish contains 4,500 acres, all belonging to the Duke of Richmond; the population in 1861 was 340.
Parish Clerk, Benjamin Bridger.
Letters through Chichester, which is the nearest money order office
Cogan Rev. Henry, M.A. Vicarage
Barnard Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Boyce William, farmer
Clifford Harry, blacksmith
Cooke Abraham, shoe maker
Fogden Thomas, farmer
Freeborn Thomas, carpenter
Leamon George, shopkeeper
Norrell John, shoe maker
Reed Louis, Star & Garter
Stride Charles, farmer