East Chiltington Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
EAST CHILTINGTON is a chapelry, annexed to the living of West Meston, in the Eastern division of the county, Lewes rape, county court district and archdeaconry, Street hundred, Chailey union, and diocese of Chichester, nearly 5 miles north-west from Lewes, and close to Plumpton railway station. The chapel of ease is a small plain building, with nave, chancel, turret, and 1 bell. The Rev. H. S. Shean is the curate. The soil is strong clay. Captain R. M. Cripps is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 281; the area is about 2,000 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Wellfare.
Letters are received from Hurstpierpoint, which is the nearest money order office
Cripps Capt. Rush Martin
Rhodes Alexander, esq. C.E.
Shean Rev. Henry S. [curate]
Avery John, farmer
Barnes Elizabeth (Mrs.), dairy
Botting William, farmer, Hurst barn
Cook William, beer retailer
Cook William, grocer
Heaver William, farmer, Chapel farm
Obbard George, beer retailer
Oden John, builder
Parsons John Latter, farmer, Yokehurst
Poole Thomas, farmer, North hall
Stacey Wm. farmer, Stanton's farm
Towner Jno. farm bailiff to J. Barberie, esq.