Denton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
DENTON is a parish, 7 miles from Lewes, 57 from London, and one mile from Newhaven, in the Eastern division of the county, Bishopstone hundred, Pevensey rape, Newhaven Union, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Rype, and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Leonard has a nave, chancel, and belfry and contains a fine ancient stone font. The register dates from 1579. The living is a rectory, annual value £245, with residence, in the gift of Miss Caroline Catt, and held by the Rev. Charles Bedford, B.A., of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. Miss Caroline Catt owns nearly all the land in the Parish. The population in 186l was 206; area 1,008 acres.
Parish Clerk, William Hubbard.
Letters through Lewes. Newhaven is the nearest money order office
Bedford Rev. Charles, B.A. [rector]
Barnes James, beer retailer
Coleman Isaac, farm bailiff to Thomas Cooper, esq.
Putland George, overseer &c