Crowhurst Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
CROWHURST is a parish, 3 miles south from Battle, 5 north-west from Hastings, and 71 from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Baldslow hundred, rape and county court district of Hastings, Battle union, diocese of Chichester, and archdeaconry of Lewes. The church of St. George is a handsome structure, in the Early English style, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and tower containing 3 bells: the edifice has been entirely rebuilt, except the tower, which has been restored and beautified by subscription. The living is a rectory, value £270 per annum, with residence, in the gift of T. Papillon, Esq., and held by the Rev. T. H. Papillon, M.A. On the south side of the church are the remains of an old manor house, built in the twelfth century. The National schools, which cost £500, were erected at the sole expense of Thomas Papillon Esq. Here is an immense yew tree, the circumference of which, at 4 feet from the ground, is 27 feet, and round the bottom 42 feet. The Battle Abbey and other powder mills are near here. Crowhurst Park is the seat of Thomas Papillon, Esq., J.P.: the house, which is a spacious stone building, is beautifully situated in a fine park, and commands one of the finest land and sea views in the county. Thomas Papillon, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Thomas Brassey, jun., Esq., George Gregory, Esq., Richard Hoper, Esq., and George Clements, Esq., are the largest landowners. The area is 2,160 acres, and in 1861 the population was 450.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Waters.
POST OFFICE.- Richard Tapner, receiver. Letters arrive from Battle at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m.; sundays at 10 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Battle.
National School, Richard Tapner, master
CARRIER TO HASTINGS.- James Ransom Crouch, every wednesday & saturday, arrives in Hastings at 11 a.m. & leaves at 2 p.m.
Biehl John, esq. Park farm
Gregory George, esq. Hill farm
Papillon Rev. Thomas Henry, M.A. [rector], The Rectory
Papillon Thos. esq. J.P. Crowhurst park
Cooke Tilden, jun. farmer, Hye house
Crouch James Ransom, carrier
Gregory Geo. farmer & landowner, Hill farm
Hickman William, shoe maker
Hutchinson Thomas, wheelwright
Larkin Mrs. farmer, Manor house
Lingham Benjamin, farmer & landowner, Rock farm
Parkes Newton & Albert, farmers, Stonebridge farm
Pilbeam William, farmer
Saxby Samuel, under steward to Thomas Papillon, esq.
Sellsman James, grocer
Spray William, Plough inn, & blacksmith
Thomas William, farmer
Waters Richard, farmer & landowner
Wood Richard, farmer