Chalvington Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
CHALVINGTON is a parish, 8 miles east by road from Lewes, 5 west from Hailsham, 3 from Berwick railway station, and 54 by road from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Shiplake hundred, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, Chichester diocese, West Firle union. The church of St. Bartholomew is a small but ancient structure, possessing 3 small bells. The register dates from 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £200, in the gift of Owen John Fuller Meyrick, Esq., and held by the Rev. Trayton Fuller, M.A., of Brasenose College, Oxford. The manor is within the jurisdiction of the Duchy of Lancaster. The area is 729 acres, and the population in 1861 was 149.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Simmonds.
POST OFFICE.-There is a receiving house in the adjoining parish of Rype. Letters are delivered through Hurst Green; delivery at 9.15 a.m.; box closes at 5.5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Hailsham
Fuller Rev. Trayton, M.A. Rectory
Cane Edward, farmer, Manor farm
Carpenter Geo. farmer, New House farm
Carpenter Mary (Mrs.), farmer & grocer
Deadman John, farmer, Lime Kiln farm
Elphick John, poulterer
Gutsell George, Yew Tree inn
Jenner Richard, farmer, Mount Pleasant
Knight. John, farmer, The Green
Wigg George, farmer, Church farm