Burton Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BURTON is a small parish, 3½ miles south-by-west from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton union, Petworth county court district, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church, which is beautifully situated in the park, is a neat structure in the Later English style, and consists of a nave and chancel. The living is a rectory, united with Coates, yearly value £113, in the gift of A. J. W. Biddulph, Esq. Burton House, the seat of Anthony John Wright Biddulph, Esq. J.P, stands partly in this and partly in the adjoining parish of Barlavington: it is an elegant mansion, situated in a richly wooded park, which is well stocked with deer, and surrounded by a very beautiful piece of water: attached to the mansion is a Roman Catholic chapel. In 1861 the population was 45; the acreage is 809.
Parish Clerk, John Ayling.
Letters through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office
Biddulph Anthony John Wright, esq. J.P. Burton house
Willock C.M. esq. Burton hill
Morley George, farmer, & farm bailiff to A.J.W. Biddulph, esq. Crouch farm
Welch Richard, farmer & miller, Burton mills