Botolphs Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BOTOLPHS (or BUTTOLPHS) is a parish, in the Western division of the county, Steyning hundred and union, Worthing county court district, rape of Bramber, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and deanery of Storrington: it is one mile south from Bramber railway station, and 2 miles south-east from Steyning, on the river Adur. The church of St. Botolph is a small structure, with chancel, nave, and low tower. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Bramber, joint annual value £160, in the gift of Magdalen College, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Morland Rice, B.D., of that college. The soil chiefly belongs to Henry Padwick, Esq.: area, 910 acres, the population in 1861 was 54.
Parish Clerk, Edwin Stapley
Letters through Hurstpierpoint, which is the nearest money order office
Stapley --, farmer