Bignor Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BIGNOR is a parish, 4 miles south from Petworth, in the Western division of the county; Bury hundred, rape of Arundel, Sutton incorporation, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, rural deanery of Midhurst, and Petworth county court district. The living is a rectory, yearly value, £143, in the gift of Lord Leconfield, and held by the Rev. Henry Sockett, of Exeter College, Oxford. The village is on the line of the Stane Street Roman way, and near the village the remains of a Roman villa have been uncovered, in which is a pavement of the period, of fine design and in excellent preservation. Area 1,145 acres; the population in 1861 was 167.
BUDDINGTON is a hamlet of Bignor.
Letters received through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office
Hawkins John H. esq.
Gadd Henry, farmer
Marshall William H. miller
Neal John, farmer
Tupper Richard, farmer