Beddington Return to Steve Pickthall's Index Page
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
BEDDINGHAM is a parish, 2½ miles south-east from Lewes, and 52½ from London, in the Eastern division of the county, West Firle union, Lewes county court district and archdeaconry, rural deanery of Ripe, Totnore hundred, Pevensey rape, and diocese of Chichester, on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne. The church of St. Andrew is ancient, and has chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and stone tower: in 1858 it was completely restored, and the south aisle added by the vicar: the windows are mostly of stained glass, one of which is a beautiful specimen of art, erected by the vicar in memory of his son, the Rev. Edward Hutchinson, who died at Madeira in 1860; another has been erected in memory of a shepherd and a boy, who were killed by a train whilst crossing the railway on the turnpike road between this village and Lewes. The register dates from 1685. The living is a vicarage, with that of West Firle annexed, joint annual value £400, with 2 acres of glebe; the Bishop of Chichester and the Dean and Chapter present alternately; the Rev. Charles E. Hutchinson, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford is the incumbent, and is also a canon residentiary of Chichester. The Rt. Ron. H. Brand, M.P. is lord of the manor, and one of the principal landowners; Viscount Gage, and the executors of George Hoper, Esq., are also large landowners. The Glynde station of the Brighton and Hastings Railway is in this parish. The parish comprises 2,918 acres; the population was 334 in 1861.
Parish Clerk, William Kennard.
POST OFFICE.- John Allen, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lewes arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m.; on sundays at 10.55 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Lewes
Parochial School, Mrs. Selina Dunn, mistress
London, Brighton & South Coast Railway Station, Glynde
Colegate Thomas, land steward to the Hon. H. Brand
Ellman Thomas, farmer, Court farm
Hart Henry Perceval, farmer
Jenner John, farmer
Medhurst William, miller
Underwood William, Trevor Arms, Glynde station