Of the fourteen acres of land on the north side of the road from Chichester to Emsworth which, through the generosity of our President, Mr. I. D. Margary, F.S.A, are now vested in the Sussex Archaeological Trust a portion was not freehold but held for a term of 600 years from 14th June, 1664. It is not known by whom or to whom the Lease was granted. No rent is payable. The original lease cannot be traced. Fortunately the remains of the Roman Palace over which a cover building has now been erected by Mr. Margary are on freehold land and, so far as is known, there are no apparent traces of Roman occupation on the leasehold land. But as Mr. Margary has always contemplated that this part of the land might be sold for development and the proceeds invested as an endowment fund it was desirable that if possible the Lease should be merged in the freehold; and steps have now been taken to that end. As a preliminary it was necessary to try and ascertain further particulars of the Lease which must have included part of the adjoining railway line and also land to the north of the railway. It seemed probable that the Lease was granted by the then Lord of the Manor as it was hoped that some light might be thrown on the subject by the Court Rolls or other manorial documents. These enquiries have confirmed the facts that in 1605 William Bowyer, the Lord of the Manor had ceased to have any rights or assets attached to it long before 1925 when the Law of Property Act of that year provided for the extinction of all Manorial Rights of pecuniary value. But no Court Rolls or manorial documents have been traced, and no particulars of the 1664 Lease have come to light.
As, however, the details of the history of the Manor published in the Victoria County History and elsewhere require correction in certain particulars and can be supplemented to some extent it seems desirable to set out the following points:-