From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1870 (pp. ??)

NEW FISHBOURNE is a village and parish, a mile and a half west from Chichester, in the Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester rape and county court district, West Hampnett union, rural deanery, archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The road from Chichester to Portsmouth and the South Coast Railway pass through the parish. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is small, comprising nave, aisles, chancellor and small wooden belfry at the west end. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a rectory, yearly value £189, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Matthew Parrington, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge. E. Stanford, esq., is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Francis Smith, esq., of Salt Hill Park, and E. Stanford, esq. The soil is rich loam, subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 610 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,214; rateable value, £2,070; and the population in 1861 was 311. OLD PARK is a mile and a half south-west.

Parish Clerk, George Ayling.

POST OFFICE.- Miss Mercy Standing, postmistress. Letters through Chichester arrive at 7; dispatched at 7.15 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chichester.

Bainbridge Miss
Cooper William
Dowell Mrs.
Farndell Henry
Howard Capt.
William Nelson, R.N.
Nunn Mrs.
Robinson Joseph
Shepherd James
Smith Francis, J.P. Salt Hill park
Smith Robert
Stanford Edward, Manor house
Western George
William Rev. Benjamin Byron [Independent]

COMMERCIAL
Ayling George, shoe maker
Ayling Henry, nurseryman
Boyce Henry, carpenter
Brain John, shopkeeper
Farne Charles Henry, miller
Knight William, Bull's Head
Long Robert, tailor
McRonald James Wylie, nurseryman
Matthews William Richard, baker
Peachey George, joiner
Peachey Richard, farmer
Penfold Richard, grazier
Quintom George Daniel, grazier
Rainford Francis, collector of taxes
Robbins William, carpenter
Shepherd James, jun. millwright, miller & brass founder
Turner Edwin, shopkeeper