From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1862 (pp. 1757)

Fishbourne is a small pleasant village, 1½ miles west from Chichester, in Box hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, archdeaconry and deanery, West Hampnett union, West Sussex. Its area is 610 acres, and the population in 1861 was 341. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Matthew Parrington, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge, value £189 per annum. The principal landowner is Francis Smith, Esq., of Salt Hill Park. The turnpike road from Chichester to Portsmouth passes through the village, and the South Coast railway also passes through this parish.
OLD PARK is 1½ miles south-west.

Dowell Mrs.
Farndell Henry, esq.
Field Mr. George
Freeland Miss
Harris Rev. Beresford
Hackfield William, esq.
Halsted Mr. William
Howard Mr. William Nelson
Johnson Miss
Randall Mr. Francis
Smith Francis, esq. J.P. Salt Hill park
Ayling George, shoemaker
Ayling Henry, gardener
Barnes William Elvey, shopkeeper
Barton William, miller
Boyce Henry, carpenter
Brain John, shopkeeper
Fever Henry, miller
Gale Francis, grazier
Knight William, Bull's Head
Long Robert, tailor
Mathews William Richard, baker
Peachey Richard, farmer, Church farm
Penfold Richard, grazier
Robbins William, carpenter
Shepherd James, miller
Shepherd James, jun. millwright

Letters received through Chichester, which is the nearest money order office.

Parish Clerk, George Ayling