From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1859 (pp. 1539)

Fishbourne, a small pleasant village 1½ mile west from Chichester, in Box hundred, rape of Chichester, West Sussex, diocese, archdeaconry and dessert of Chichester. Its area is 610 acres; the population, in 1851, was 317. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, held by the Rev. Matthew Parrington, value £180 per annum. The principal landowner is Francis Smith, Esq., of Salt Hill Park. The turnpike road from Chichester to Portsmouth passes through this parish.
Old Park, 1½ mile south-west.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Biggar Misses
Combes Mrs.
Dowell Mrs.
Farndell Henry, esq.
Field Mr. George
Freeland Miss
Hackfield William, esq.
Halsted Mr. Henry
Howard Mr. William Nelson
Johnson Miss Emily
Handell Mr. Francis
Smith Francis, esq. Salt Hill Park

COMMERCIAL
Ayling Henry, gardener
Barnes William Elvey, shopkeeper
Barton William, miller
Boyce Henry, carpenter
Brain John, baker
Feast John, post office
Fever Henry, Miller
Gale William, grazier
Mathews William Richard, baker & shopkeeper
Peachey Richard, farmer, Church farm
Pencils Richard, grazier
Powell Frederick, boot & shoe maker
Quinton George, Bull's Head
Robbins William, carpenter
Shepherd James, jun., millwright
Whitfield Charles, inland revenue office, Flagstaff villa

Letters received through Chichester, which is also the nearest money order office.