From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1855 (pp. 887)
FISHBOURNE, a small pleasant village 1½ miles west from Chichester, in Box Hundred, rape of Chichester, West Hampnett Union, West Sussex. Its area is 610 acres; the population, in 1851, was 317. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Stair Douglas, M.A., value £189 per annum.
The principal landowner is Francis Smith, Esq., of SALT HILL PARK. The turnpike road, from Chichester to Portsmouth, passes through the village, and the South-Coast railway also passes through this parish.
OLD PARK, 1½ miles south-west.
Field George, esq.
Halsted Mr. Henry
Howard William Nelson, esq.
Johnson Miss Emily
Smith Francis, esq. Salt Hill Park
Ayling Henry, gardener
Barnes William Elvey, shopkeeper
Brain John, baker
Eastland George, Bull's Head
Feast John, postmaster
Fox Samuel, officer of inland revenue
Freeland Joseph, farmer & cattledealer
Mathews Wm. Richd. baker & shopkr
Powell Elizb. (Mrs.), boot & shoe maker
Robbins William, shopkeeper
Shepherd James, miller
Shepherd James, jun. millwright
Walling & Barnes, coaldealers
Walling Richard, miller
Letters received through Chichester, which is also the nearest money order office.