New Fishbourne OPS
Parish Register Summary
Census and Population
Protestation Returns 1641
Poll Book 1734
Poll Book 1841
Land Tax 1780
Wills and Probate
History of the Church
List of Rectors
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Industry, Institutions, etc.
Misc from Sussex N&Q
A compendious history of Sussex
The story of John Linter (1577 - 1643)
From Kelly's Post Office Directory 1903 (pp. 350)
is a village and parish, at the head of the eastern branch of Chichester harbour, on the road from Chichester to Portsmouth one mile west from Chichester, in the South western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred. Chichester rape, petty sessional division and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove (third division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is of stone, in the Early English style, and has a belfry containing one bell: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1589. The living is a rectory, net income £110 with 2 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Robert Baker M.A of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Rector's trust account, a sum of £117 in Consols, which produces £3 10s. 2d. yearly, is for fuel for the poor of the parish. Salt Hill Park, the property of Archibald F. Smith esq. is the residence of T. Eustace Foster esq. who is the principal landowner. Capt. Richard Byron is lord of the manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,294 acres of land, 35 of water and 32 of foreshore; rateable value, £4,451; the population in 1901 was 603.
In 1896, those portions of St. Bartholomew and St. Peter the Great parishes outside Chichester municipal borough, were added to New Fishbourne.
Parish Clerk, George Powell.
Post, M. O & T. Office., & Annuity & Insurance Office,.- Levi Nutbeem, sub-postmaster. Letters through Chichester arrive at 5.20 a.m. & 3 p.m.; dispatched at 1.25 & 7.30 p.m: sunday, arrive 6.20 a.m. & dispatched at 12.20 p.m.
The children attend the school at Old Fishbourne.
Baker Rev. Robert M.A, The Rectory
Chandler Capt. Leonard, Westfield
Evershed Arth. M.R.C.P. Lond. Eversfld
Farne Charles Henry
Foster T. Eustace, Salt Hill park & Great Carlton, Louth, Lincolnshire
Gadd Mrs. The Bays
Jackman Lyster Brook
Oakley Mrs. Holmwood cottage
Paton Mrs. Rauceby
Pelham Misses, Manor house
Pulleyblank George, Florance villa
Quintom Mrs. Chestnut house
Tisdall John Acacia lodge
Tomlinson Mrs. Kensington cottage.
Allen Wm. Alexander, boot maker
Bailey Maria (Miss), laundress
Boyes Harry, builder
Chichester Drainage Outfall Works (Leonard Louch, foreman)
Coles Eli, dairyman
Farne Charles Henry, miller (water & steam)
Hewett Mrs. Sarah Jane, dairy
Lintott Charles Richard, nurseryman & seedsman
Miller Mark, dairyman
Nutbeem Levi, baker, grocer & post office
Powell William, shopkeeper
Roberts William, fruit grower
Ryan Charles, beer retailer
Shepherd James, miller (water) & threshing machine propr
Bull's Head P.H.
Woodland Ernest Charles, insurance agent, Holmwood.