New Fishbourne OPS
Parish Register Summary
Census and Population
Protestation Returns 1641
Poll Book 1734
Poll Book 1841
Land Tax 1780
Wills and Probate
History of the Church
List of Rectors
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Industry, Institutions, etc.
Misc from Sussex N&Q
A compendious history of Sussex
The story of John Linter (1577 - 1643)
From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Sussex, 1887 (pp. 1957)
is a village and parish a mile and a quarter west from Chichester, in the South-Western division of the county, Box and Stockbridge hundred, Chichester petty sessional division, rape and county court district, Westhampnett union, rural deanery of Boxgrove (third division), archdeaconry and diocese of Chichester, situate at the head of the eastern branch of Chichester harbour. The road from Chichester to Portsmouth and the South Coast railway pass through the parish. The church of SS. Peter and Mary is a small building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a small wooden belfry at the west end containing one bell; there are 200 sittings, nearly all being free. The register dates from the year 1567. The living is a rectory, yearly value from tithe rent-charge £200 with glebe producing £50, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1875 by the Rev. Robert Baker M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, who resides at West Gate, Chichester. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor's land produces £1 yearly, which is distributed in money; Levin's charity of £3 10s. 2d. yearly, derived from a sum of £117 in Consols, is for clothing. The principal landowners are Sir Archibald Levin Smith kt. (Justice of the Queen's Bench division), of Salt Hill Park and Mrs. Stanford, who is lady of the manor. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 594 acres of land and 36 of water; rateable value, £2,159; the population in 1881 was 316.
Parish Clerk, William Robbins.
POST OFFICE.- Miss Mercy Standing, postmistress. Letters through Chichester arrive at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 7.30 p.m.; Sunday 12.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Chichester. The children of this place attend the school at Old Fishbourne.
Chambers Col. Robert, Manor house
Farne Charles Hy. New Fishbourne ho.
Hobgen Charles, Fishbourne lodge
Oakley George, Holmwood cottage
Passingham Henry, Florence lodge
Quintom Mrs. Chestnut house
Smith Sir Archibald Levin kt. (Justice of the High Court), Salt Hill park; & 40 Cadogan square, London w
Ayling Henry (Mrs.), nursery
Bailey Maria (Miss), laundress
Bennett William, farm bailiff to Sir A. L. Smith, Salt Hill
Boyes Harry, builder
Farne Chas. Hy. miller (water & wind)
Gale Francis, dairyman
Bull's Head P.H.
Matthews Wm. Richd. baker & beer ret.
Patrick John, boot & shoe maker
Robbins William, carpenter
Shepherd Jas. miller (water) & machinist
Smith Henry, general dealer
Speight George (Mrs.), laundress
Yeates Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper