From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
WOOLAVINGTON, (or WOOLLAVINGTON) is a parish, 4 miles south-west from Petworth, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, rape of Arundel, Midhurst union, county court district and rural deanery, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The manor cannot be identified in "Domesday Survey," but soon after the Conquest it became attached to the earldom of Arundel, and has passed through many families since, the last being that of Serjeant. The church of St. Margaret is very ancient, and has 3 bells. The living is a rectory united with Graffham, in the gift of the Right Rev. Samuel Wilberforce, D.D., the present Bishop of Oxford, joint annual value £277, with residence in Graffham. Lavington House is the property of Dr. S. Wilberforce: the grounds around this place extend over the South Downs. The parish consists of several portions, lying at a considerable distance apart, but of these two only are specially distinguished, by the prefix East and West; that which is known as East Woolavington is the older portion of the parish, and that which is described above - the other part - West Woolavington, joins Midhurst and forms for a considerable distance the eastern boundary of the high road from Midhurst to Chichester, so that now it is usual to describe the divisions thus - East Woolavington, near Petworth, and West Woolavington, near Midhurst. In the western division the church of St. Mary Magdalen has recently been erected. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £100, in the same patronage as the parish church division; the Rev. James Currie, M.A., of University College, Oxford, is the incumbent. In the churchyard is the grave of the late Richard Cobden, Esq., the eminent politician and statist. Here is a Parochial school. The parish contains 2,530 acres, and had a population of 488 in 1861.
Parish Clerk, East Woolavington, Cornelius Connor.
Letters for East Woolavington received through Petworth, which is the nearest money order office
Letters for West Woolavington received through Midhurst, which is the nearest money order office
Parochial School, Miss Elizabeth Hullah, mistress
Handley Misses, Beechwood house
Oxford Bishop of
Colebrook James, farmer, Westerland
Connor Cornelius, farm bailiff to the Bishop of Oxford
Hopkins Wm. farmer
Currie Rev. James, M.A. Rectory house
Fisher William, esq.
Ingram Harriet (Miss), gentlemen's preparatory school
Catt Edmund, miller, Coster's mill
Lunn Henry, farmer