From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
WISTON is a parish, 50 miles south from London, and a mile and a half north-west from Steyning railway station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Steyning, county court district of Worthing, rape of Bramber, Thakeham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Storrington. The church of St. Mary is chiefly in the Decorated style of English architecture, and consists of a nave, chancel, south aisle, and low tower, built of flint: it stands near the Manor House. Date of register, 1638. The living is a rectory, value £430 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. John Goring, and held by the Rev. Charles Walter Albin Napier, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford. There is a Free school for boys and girls belonging to this parish in the chapelry of Buncton, liberally supported by the Rev. John Goring. Wiston House and Park, the seat and property of the Rev. John Goring, J.P., is a stately mansion of the Elizabethan order: the view from the terrace is much admired: the park and water are well arranged; the former is extensive and well stocked with deer. A turnpike road from Steyning westward passes through the parish, skirting the park. The parish comprises 2,865 acres of arable, pasture, down and wood land, and the population in 1861 was 311.
Parish Clerk, William Juden.
Letters received through Hurstpierpoint, via Steyning, which is the nearest money order office
Free School, John Isted, master; Miss Elizabeth Isted, mistress
Goring Rev. John, J.P. Wiston park
Napier Rev. Charles Walter Albin, M.A. Rectory
Adams Thomas, farmer, Woodman's farm
Bristow Edwin, farmer, Buncton
Goatcher George, farmer, Fair Oak
Lilliott William, farmer, Guess farm
Page Charles, farmer, Buncton
Richardson Edward, farmer
Wells John, farmer, Abbott's farm