From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
THORNEY ISLAND (WEST THORNEY, or the Island of Thorns) is a parish and island near the centre of the great estuary called Chichester harbour, in the Western division of the county, Bosham hundred, Chichester rape, county court district, diocese and archdeaconry, Westbourne union, and rural deanery of Boxgrove, 3 miles west from Emsworth, and 10½ west from Chichester. The church (name not known) is a small plain building of rubble and stone, having a chancel, centre aisle, and tower with wooden turret and one bell. The living is a rectory, value £320 per annum in the gift of Philip Lyne, Esq., and held by the Rev. Charles. Philip Lyne, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford. The landed proprietors are Frederick Padwick, Esq., and the Rev. C. P. Lyne. The population in 1861 was 93, assessed at £1,769. The Island is 3 miles in circumference, and the entire area is 3,005 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Crees.
Letters through Emsworth, which is the nearest money order office.
Padwick Frederick, esq.
Chaplin William, contractor, Pilsey Isle
Pennycott Theophilus, farmer & beer retailer