From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
TREYFORD is a small parish, 5 miles south-west from Midhurst, and 6 from Petersfield, in the Western division of the county, Dumpford hundred, Midhurst union, county court district and rural deanery, diocese, rape and archdeaconry of Chichester. The manor was given to Earl Montgomerie after the Conquest: the abbot of St. Peters Newton set up a claim to it in opposition, but this was speedily disallowed, the hundred testifying that the tenant of the abbot, in the time of Edward, held it for life only: in the reign of Elizabeth it was held by William Aylwin: in 1772 it was alienated to Sir James Peachey: it subsequently passed to Lord Selsey, from whom it came to the present owners. The church is an ancient building, now disused: chancel and nave Early English, or First Pointed, style. A new and handsome church (St. Peter's) was erected, and consecrated in 1849, at the sole expense of the patrons, the Rev. L. Vernon Harcourt and the Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, of West Dean House: it is from the designs of B. Ferrey, Esq., and consists of a chancel, with nave, side aisles, and tower and spire at the north-west angle: the seats are all open and of English oak, as is the high-pitched roof: the style is of the earlier Decorated period: the spire, conspicuous over the surrounding country, is 120 feet high. The register commences in 1728. The living is a rectory, annexed to Elstead and Didling, annual value £330, in the gift of the Hon. Mrs. Vernon Harcourt, and held by the Rev. William Downes Willis, M.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The Manor House, with remarkably fine brickwork, adjoins the old church: it was built about 1690. The population in 1861 was 123; area, 1,260 acres.
Parish Clerk, John Challenor.
Letters through Petersfield. The nearest money order office is at Midhurst
Aylwin James, farmer, Dairy farm
Aylwin Robert, farmer, Home farm
Glue Joseph, shopkeeper
Goodeve Thomas, farmer, Manor farm