From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
STOPHAM is a parish, 4 miles south-east from Petworth, and one mile south-west from Pulborough railway station, on the road to Brighton, in the Western division of the county, Rotherbridge hundred, Petworth county court district, rape of Arundel, Thakeham union, diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester, and rural deanery of Midhurst. The church of St. Mary is partly in the Norman and partly in the Decorated styles, and consists of a nave, chancel, and square tower, at the west end, with 2 bells: in the chancel window are arms of the ancient family of Barttelot, with quarterings; these are said to have been removed from the great window of the old hall, and were the work of one Roclandt, a Flemish glass stainer, whose name appears on them: the pavement is almost entirely composed of large slabs of Sussex marble, inlaid with brass figures and memorials of the Barttelots, from the date of their original establishment at Stopham, forming a very complete series of monumental brasses: the font is octangular, ornamented with quatrefoils. The register dates from 1544. The living is a rectory, value £150 per annum, with residence, in the gift of George Barttelot, Esq., and held by the Rev. Felix Brown, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. Stopham House, the residence of George Barttelot, Esq., J.P., lord of the manor and chief landowner, and Lieut.- Col. Barttelot, M.P., J.P., is a mansion in the Elizabethan style; it was almost entirely rebuilt in 1787, and underwent a complete restoration in 1866. Stopham Bridge, of seven arches, over the river Arun, is in the south-eastern district of the parish; it is an ancient structure, having been built in the reign of Edward II. (1309), by the Barttelot family. Here is a Parochial school for boys and girls, supported by George Barttelot, Esq. The area of the parish is 876 acres, and the population in 1861 was 130.
Parish Clerk, John Hooker.
Letters through Petworth. Pulborough is the nearest money order office
Parochial School, Miss Ann Chambers, mistress
Barttelot George, esq. J.P. Stopham house
Barttelot Lieut.- Col. Walter B. M.P., J.P. Stopham house; & Carlton & Junior United Service clubs, & 3 St. James's place, Piccadilly, London, s.w.
Brown Rev. Felix, M.A. [rector]
Hard John, farmer
Hooker James, shoe maker
Luxford Edmund, shopkeeper
Pellatt James, brick maker
Urban William, cooper