From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
STANMER is a small parish, in the Eastern division of the county, rape of Pevensey, hundred of Ringmer, union of Newhaven, county court district of Lewes, situate 4 miles north-east from Brighton, 4 from Lewes (its post and polling town), and a mile from the Falmer station of the Brighton and Lewes Railway. The church is a neat stone structure, consisting of a nave chancel. north and south transept, tower and spire with 2 bells. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Falmer, joint annual value £140, in the alternate gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Earl of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Charles G. T. Barlow, who resides at Falmer. Stanmer House, the seat of the Right Hon. the Earl of Chichester, is a large square building, pleasantly situate in a fine undulating park, encircled with plantations of beech and other trees, and ornamented with timber, &c., and comprising the principal part of the parish. The Earl of Chichester is lord of the manor, and sole landowner. The soil is chalk; and the chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, and pasture. The population in 1861 was 147; area, 1,346 acres.
Parish Clerk, William Carter.
Letters from Lewes arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 7 p.m. Lewes is the nearest money order office
Chichester Right Hon. Earl of, Stanmer park
Jones Thomas, carpenter
Rawson Charles, farm bailiff to the Earl of Chichester