From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SOUTH STOKE is a parish, 2½ miles north-north-east from Arundel, in the hundred of Avisford, rape and county court district of Arundel, and same ecclesiastical jurisdiction. The church, in the Early English style, but originally in the Norman, consists of chancel and nave: there is some stained glass in the chancel: the west end of the nave is very curious, having three distinct narrow lancet windows: the tower is square, in the Early English style: the south porch is much admired by antiquarians. The register dates from 1553. The living is a rectory, rent-charge £223 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Norfolk, and held by the Rev. Richmond Powell, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. A large portion of this parish is contained in Arundel Park: the river Arun forms part of its boundary. A suspension foot-bridge has been erected over the river Arun, between North and South Stoke. Population, with the tithing of Offham, 99; area, 1,204 acres.
Offham is a hamlet of South Stoke
Letters through Arundel, which is the nearest money order office
Powell Rev. Richmond, M.A. [rector]
Johnson William, farmer
Oliver James, Black Rabbit
Penfold Peter, farmer