From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SOUTHEASE is a parish, 4 miles from Lewes, 3 from Newhaven, and 54 by road from London, near the navigable river Ouse (over which there is here a bridge), in the Eastern division of the county, Holmstrow hundred, Newhaven union, Lewes rape, county court district, archdeaconry and rural deanery, and diocese of Chichester. The church is small and ancient, and has nave, chancel, and round tower, with a shingled spire. The living is a rectory, annual value £210, with residence, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Samuel Webb Thomas, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. The area is 900 acres, and the population in 1861 was 84.
Parish Clerk, Elias Elliott.
Letters through Lewes. The nearest money order office is at Newhaven
Kent Mr. James, sen.
Thomas Rev. Samuel Webb, M.A. [rector]
Kent James, jun. farmer, Coast farm
Saxby William, farmer