From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
SEDLESCOMBE (or SELSCOMBE) is a parish, 3 miles north-east from Battle, on the river Brede, on the high road from Hastings to Hawkhurst, in Kent, in the Eastern division of the county, Staple hundred, Battle union, Hastings rape and county court district, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, and rural deanery of Dallington. The church of St. John the Baptist is in the Norman and Perpendicular styles. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, value £320 per annum, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Edward Owen, M.A., of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. Here is an Endowed school. The parish comprises 2,049 acres, and the population in 1861 was 703, assessed at £2,513.
POST OFFICE.- James Byner, receiver. Letters received through Battle at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m.; on sundays at 11.30 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Battle
INSURANCE AGENT.- Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, James Byner
Infant School, Mrs. Martin, mistress
Endowed School, James Barber, master; Mrs, Ruth Barber, mistress
Brabazon Hercules Brabazon, esq.
Owen Rev. Edward, M.A. [rector]
Pratt Rev. John Joseph, M.A.
Pratt Frederick, esq.
Archer Ann (Mrs.), shoe maker
Ball William, wheelwright
Banks George, butcher
Byner James, grocer & post office
Catt John, builder
Cronk Thomas, Coach & Horses
Eldridge Joseph, carpenter
Elliott Edward, surveyor of roads
Flint Joseph, farmer
Garner Fanny (Miss), grocer & draper
Hyland John, Queen's Head
Knight Henry, farmer
Lawrence & Sons, powder manufacturer
Piper William, fellmonger & tanner
Tuppeny John, blacksmith
Webb William (trustees of), grocer
Weston James, farmer