From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
RUSTINGTON is a parish on the sea-coast, half a mile from Angmering station, a mile and a half east from Littlehampton, and 7 miles from Worthing, in the Western division of the county, Poling hundred, Arundel rape, rural deanery and county court district, East Preston incorporation, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church, of SS. Peter and Paul, is a building of about the thirteenth century: had fallen into a bad state of repair, but has been restored, principally at the expense of the present vicar, from plans by Mr. W. Slater, the diocesan architect: to the liberality of the vicar, the parish is also indebted for a National school, which was built here in the year 1860. The register dates from 1568. The living is a vicarage value £159 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Henry John Rush, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Mrs. Archdale Gratwicke, of Ham, is lady of the manor; and Thomas Bushby, Esq., and Mrs. Penfold are the principal landowners. The area is 1,287 acres, and the population in 1861 was 340.
Letters through Littlehampton arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Littlehampton is the nearest money order office
Addis John, esq.
Armstrong Dowager Lady, Seafield ho.
Bushby Thomas, esq. West Preston manor
Groves Mr. James, The Firs
Bush Rev. Henry John, M.A. [vicar]
Tomlinson Mr. Edward
Withington Rev. Edward, M.A. [curate]
Badcock John, farmer
Chandler William, blacksmith
Chatfield William, wheelwright
Graves Sarah (Mrs.), miller & baker
Hopkins William, farmer
Henson Richard, agricultural machine proprietor
Humphrey Ann (Mrs.), miller
Humphrey John, farmer
Richardson Thos. Lamb, & shoe maker
Simpson John, grocer & baker
Wilton Ellis, Windmill