From Kelly's Post Office Directory of Essex, Herts, Middlesex, Kent, Surrey and Sussex, 1867
POLING is a parish, 67 miles south-south-west from London, a mile and a half north-west from Angmering railway station, 4½ miles north-east from Littlehampton and 2 south-east from Arundel, and gives name to a hundred, in the Western division of the county, rape, county court district and rural deanery of Arundel, East Preston incorporation, and diocese and archdeaconry of Chichester. The church is very ancient: it has nave and chancel, and square tower with 3 bells. The register dates from 1558. The living is a vicarage, value £158 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chichester, and held by the Rev. Thomas Troughton Leete, M.A., of Caius College, Cambridge. There is a National school. The area is 923 acres, and the population in 1861 was 203.
Parish Clerk, Charles Penn.
POST OFFICE.- James Dench, receiver. Letters received through Arundel, which is the nearest money order office
Leete Rev.Thos.Troughton M.A. [vicar]
Blunden Catherine (Mrs.), farmer, & brick & tile maker
Chatfield Robert, wheelwright
Dench James, blacksmith
Farcombe Michael, farmer
Thair Henry, shopkeeper
Tompkins Edward, farmer
Winter William, farmer